Mental Health Caucuses
Health care is a top policy issue, but mental health policy is less often a major focus. Mental Health Caucuses have demonstrated to be a positive means to addressing important mental health policies, building expertise among a cadre of elected officials, and providing legislators an opportunity to demonstrate their commitment to the health of their community. Mental Health America is working with advocates and legislators to promote and support efforts to achieve priority attention for mental health issues in state legislatures by developing materials to support the growth of state mental health caucuses that fosters dialogue and partnership between advocates and policymakers.
FOR STATE LEGISLATORS
- Fact Sheet for State Legislators: Mental Health Caucuses (PDF)
This fact sheet is a resource for state legislators to describe state caucuses that focus on mental health policy. This fact sheet will assist you in identifying key policy issues to consider when establishing a similar body in your legislature.
- Mental Health Caucus Resolution (Email for a copy)
- Sample Dear Colleague Letter (Email for a copy)
- Connect with a MHA affiliate in your community
- Learn more about Mental Health America:
FOR MENTAL HEALTH ADVOCATES
- Frequently Asked Questions: Mental Health Caucuses (PDF)
This FAQ describes state caucuses that focus on mental health policy and outlines key issues for advocates to consider when working with state legislators to establish a similar body in their state.
- To learn more about Mental Health America’s effort to support the development of Mental Health Caucuses, contact Debbie Plotnick at email@example.com or 703.797.4316.